Wednesday 10 September 2014

MOVIE REVIEW: Lucy

Coming down from the high of seeing YMAS and just generally having a good time last week, I'm starting the month of September with a brand new semester of university, whoopee. I'm totally looking forward to writing three whole research papers this semester, of course I am, why wouldn't I be???

Anyway, I thought of doing this thing where I write stuff on this blog once a week at least, so I can sharpen those much needed writing skills and let these creative juices flow. I know that no one actually reads this, it's more for my own benefit than it is for people to enjoy.

Moving right along, I just watched the movie 'Lucy' a few hours ago, finally, and hmmmm.... it was... interesting, I guess? So I'll be doing a little review of it here and telling alls a'yalls what I thought about it, even though I don't actually know what I think about it.


To summarise, it was basically about a woman who accidentally got drugs in her system while trying to carry them overseas, and how those drugs increased her 'cerebral capacity' (which was a phrase said about every 10 freaking minutes in the movie), to the point where she was using 100% of her brain, because apparently human beings only use 10% of our minds (which is totally false btw). As her brain functions increased, she somehow developed abilities like being able to control her appearance, people, and objects around her, and even doing things like teleportation and time travel. And of course there are the bad guys trying to take the drugs (called CPH4 if I'm not mistaken) back from her to sell to the youths of Europe. Not gonna spoil it for anyone, but yeah, happy ending (I guess??).

To be honest, I don't really know what to feel about the movie. Like, it wasn't bad or anything, but it wasn't that great either. Scarlett Johansson was pretty good in her lead role as Lucy, and the premise of the movie was interesting, if not totally illogical. I felt like her 'powers' were slightly over exaggerated though, especially towards the end when she was reaching her full brain capacity. Yeah, I get that she's hyper-aware of everything around her and stuff but how does that give her the ability to go back billions of years in time?? Who knows.

One of the parts that I enjoyed was when she, for some unknown reason, travelled to space for a bit and watched the earth being formed, just because I really like space and the galaxy and stuff like that, so that was nice to see. But besides that I can't really think of any other parts that I particularly enjoyed, and based on the fact that I can't remember any specific scene that stood out to me probably shows something about how I felt about the movie.

So if you were looking to watch Lucy, go ahead. It was alright. I'm just mainly confused probably. Depends what you're into, I guess. I'll give it 3 out of 5 bags of CPH4.

listening to: One Man Wolf Pack - Marmozets

No comments:

Post a Comment