Wednesday 3 September 2014

So you, me, at six? (A concert in review)

It was the 2nd of September 2014, a fine Tuesday that I had been looking forward to for months. I saw a band that I've been wanting to see live for quite some time, You Me At Six, at KL Live, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It was pretty swell. And on top of their stellar performance, I got to meet them after the show and that was super great too. I'm writing all this down so I won't forget anything, so yeahh

We arrived at the venue pretty early, around 4pm. Waited around, got my meet-and-greet wristband, waited some more, and were finally let into the stage area at 7-ish. Around 7.30, local band Tres Empre opened the show, playing 6 or 7 songs. They were good, the singer's got some impressive pipes and I loved that the drummer was just going hard. Then another half-hour wait for the band everyone came to see, until finally, the lights dimmed, dark figures appeared onstage, and the crowd started flipping their shit.

The opening chords of 'Too Young To Feel This Old' rung out and singer Josh Franceschi started belting out the lyrics, the audience singing along to every word. They played a set of 15 songs, Josh succeeding in commandeering the audience like only the best of frontmen can. There was lots of terrible (but not really) dancing, clothes hastily being taken off, ears left ringing from the shrill screaming of teenage girls losing their minds, headbanging, and in my case, sweaty but pleasant hand-holding. Chris Miller, a.k.a. Chewy, stage left for YMAS, and Max Helyer, also guitarist for the band, played every note perfectly, Matt Barnes, bassist, held it down with his impeccable playing, and Dan Flint, drummer, gave everyone that incredibly loud beat they were craving. They played some of their more well-known songs, like the angsty 'Loverboy', the classic 'Stay With Me' and 'Underdog', 'Reckless' (cue the stripping), and 'Bite My Tongue' (having hundreds of people angrily screaming "Fuck you!" is always fun).


Everything was going fine and dandy, until Josh probably tried to do some dance move a little bit too enthusiastically and twisted his ankle. The band finished off their show with Josh having to succumb to sit at the front of the stage instead of leaping around like a wild animal due to his injury. They ended with the anthemic 'Lived A Lie', the crowd's rousing chant of "We are believers" making me feel incredibly proud of this little band from all the way across the world, and how much I felt like I belonged and connected with every single person in the room. The band walked (or limped) victoriously off the stage for a great show having been played, and I'm sure everyone in attendance thought the same too.

And now more waiting, as I went in line for the meet-and-greet. There were around 25 people queued up with me, trying to keep our heads cool before meeting one of the biggest rock bands in Britain. Concert posters were given out in line for the band to sign, and everyone got their CDs, pieces of paper, and drawings ready to be scribbled on by the five members of YMAS. The meet-and-greet went on in groups of six, except for mine, because we were last, hence there being seven of us. The m&g coordinator rushed us in with continuous barks of 'Hurry up, hurry up!". The band were probably exhausted and needed some well-deserved rest, so everyone was just trying to get this over with quick.

I walked in, a ball of nerves and excitement (obviously), and nervously placed all five things I wanted them to sign on the table. "Sorry I have so many things for you guys to sign," I said apologetically, laying out the two ticket stubs, CD booklet, guitar strap and humongous poster onto the table. "It's alright," Chris said with a laugh as he got on with the autographing. Max stopped me for a second, asking about the guitar strap I had him sign. "Is this a real Tom Delonge strap?" he asked curiously, examining the strap in question. "Oh no, my friend made that himself," I said, to which he replied "Oh that's cool, it looks really good!". I finally reached Josh, sitting with his injured leg propped up on a chair, ice on his ankle. "Josh, are you alright?" I asked, worried that he'd be in a lot of pain. "No, I'm not," he said with a grimace, "I'm going to have my leg cut off. I don't know why, they're making me cut my leg off from the knee down." (Cue awkward laughter from me because I was absolutely speechless at the fact that I was having a conversation with Josh fucking Franceschi) "Yeah, you just witnessed the last ever You Me At Six show," he said with a shrug. "Well, I'm lucky then," I laughed, thanking him for the signatures. I grabbed my stuff, and somehow managed to sneak a quick selfie with each member of the band before a group photo was taken, and I left, giddy at the fact that I had just met a band I've loved for years.


Well, that was my You Me At Six experience, and all-in-all, it was pretty freaking amazing. I can't wait for the boys to come down again so I can do this whole thing once more. YMAS, you guys played one hell of a show that I definitely won't forget, and Josh, get better ASAP, and hopefully no one would have to amputate any of your limbs.

listening to: Too Young To Feel This Old - You Me At Six

No comments:

Post a Comment